100% Gruner Veltliner from Kremstal, Austria.
SRP of $16 and available for as low as $12. Sample received courtesy Folio Fine Wine Partners for review purposes.
From the bottle:
“The dream of Laurenz Maria Moser V. and his daughter, Sophie Marie, is to bring Austria’s indigenous grape to your table. Gruner is best described as having elegance and finesse, a floral perfume with a refreshing zip, hand in hand with a distinctive fruity character and a rewarding finish. Why do we call it “Singing”? Guess you have to try it — Enjoy.
If Austria is known for a single variety of wine, it has to be Gruner Veltliner (Groo-ner Vehlt-ly-ner), which accounts for about a third of the vineyard plantings in the country. This is a variety that is gaining respect world-wide as delicious, food friendly and age-worthy — all good things.
For today’s wine, we went to a producer that specializes in Gruner, Laurenz V. In fact, they claim to be the only winery that exclusively produces Gruner Veltliner. The Laurenz family has been making wine for over five generations (the reason for the V. in the name). They produce seven different Gruner Veltliners each with its own distinct taste. Today’s wine is priced right in our sweet spot with a street price as low as $12.
The 2011 Laurenz V. Singing Gruner Veltliner begins with light and flowery notes of apple, peach and lemon-lime. The wine tastes really delightful with a slightly fizzy character and lots of minerality. The flavors are similar to the bouquet with juicy apple, pear and peach plus some white pepper. Good acidity, good balance and a nice lively mouthfeel make for a fun wine. It finishes crisply with some nice spice, a burst of lime and lingering mineral notes. An enjoyable introduction to Gruner Veltliner and Austrian whites wines that you can pick up for a song!
Wine in the Awesome Austrians series:
- 2010 Zantho Zweigelt – A perfect wine for Thanksgiving dinner.
- 2011 Laurenz V. Singing Gruner Veltliner – At this price it just might make you sing!
- 2010 IBY Blaufrankisch Classic – A Beauty From Burgenland.
- 2010 Laurenz V. Charming Gruner Veltliner – Smooth and Steely.
- 2009 Meinhard Forstreiter Zvy-Gelt Zweigelt – Fresh From The Garden!
- 2010 Juris St Laurent Selection – Pinot Noir’s deep, dark and savory love child finds a home in Austria.
- 2010 Juris Pinot Noir Selection – Think you know Pinot? Then you need to get to know Austria.
See a listing of local retailers selling this wine here.