I don't know about the rest of you, but it's definitely feeling like fall in my neck of the woods. Of course, a 40 degree temperature drop in a day will do that! And when I think of fall I think not only of red wine, but also port. So it was only fitting to kick off the week with a guest post on Why You Should Drink More Port Wine! We'll have reviews of several popular brands coming up in the next few weeks.
After that we moved on to one of my favorite styles of wine, a red blend. And this one came from one of our favorite new value areas, Lake County, California. We dubbed the 2010 Dalliance Lake County Red Wine, "Far From Boring" thanks to its unique (and thrilling) blend of Zinfandel, Barbera, Syrah, Tempranillo and Grenache.
From there we once again (as it seems so easy for us to do) turned to Italian wine for the rest of the week!
- On Wednesday we traveled to Friuli to try the aptly named variety of Friulano and found another Italian variety that I'm shocked isn't grown more widely. The 2010 Bastianich Friulano Adriatico is a "Fresh and Fruity Friulano".
- Thursday brought a Super Tuscan with a Mediterranean twist, the 2010 La Mozza I Perazzi Morellino di Scansano. I loved it so much I gave it our highest rating, a Bulk Buy! It's hard to do much better than this wine for less than $15.
- On the surface Friday's post on The Best Pizza Wine Under $20 does not appear to be about Italian wine, but dig a little deeper and you find that 7 of the 10 wines come from Italy! What can I say...if anyone should know how to pair a wine with pizza, it should be the Italians, right?
- Finally we ended the week by going to Sicily for a delightful red wine. (I wish I could say I actually traveled to Sicily, but I'll just have to pretend.) And if you're talking red wine from Sicily, chances are it has some Nero d'Avola in it, which is exactly the case with the luscious 2008 Donnafugata Tancredi Sicilia Rosso - A Real Sweet Tart.
Lastly, Lot18 is still offering a $25 credit for new sign-ups at their site. Use this link to get the deal.
This coming week stay tuned for a guest post on making wine at home, along with another Italian wonder, a South African Sauvignon Blanc and plenty more delicious wine!
Most Viewed Reviews This Week:
- Pizza Wine! 10 Wines Under $20 That Pair Perfectly With Pizza
- Top 10 Red Wines Under $20
- You Should Drink More Port Wine – Four Reasons Why
Click through to the individual wines to find the full reviews including a link with local retailers who carry each wine. Cheers!