|Smooth and Steely|
100% Gruner Veltliner from Kamptal, Austria.
SRP of $30 and available for as low as $24 (Saturday Splurge). Sample received for review purposes.
From the bottle:
"The Left Bank of the River Kamp gives us the zip, the minerality and the Right Bank the creaminess, length for our 'Charming' style.Today we go back to Austria's signature grape, Gruner Veltliner. This time; however, we travel to Kamptal, Austria which many feel produce the best Gruner Veltliner in the world. Many of the vineyards in this area are on steep slopes with very thin layers of soil above gravel and volcanic rock, the source of the signature mineral notes in these wines. Add in scorching sun and large temperature differentials between day and night and you have a recipe for wonderful wine. How wonderful? Let's find out.
Laurenz V. Strictly Gruner & Sheer Drinking Pleasure
The 2010 Charming Gruner Veltliner Reserve by Laurenz V. opens with an excellent and steely aroma of apple, white pepper, lemon/lime and minerals. The wine tastes terrific with juicy apple, zesty lemon, nice white pepper notes, good minerality and a great crisp acidity. Despite the steeliness, it also features a wonderful smooth and almost creamy texture that helps to make it a pleasure to drink. On the finish all these flavors stay in your mouth for a surprisingly long time.
Wine in the Awesome Austrians series:
- 2010 Zantho Zweigelt - A perfect wine for Thanksgiving dinner.
- 2011 Laurenz V. Singing Gruner Veltliner - At this price it just might make you sing!
- 2010 IBY Blaufrankisch Classic - A Beauty From Burgenland.
- 2010 Laurenz V. Charming Gruner Veltliner - Smooth and Steely.
- 2009 Meinhard Forstreiter Zvy-Gelt Zweigelt - Fresh From The Garden!
- 2010 Juris St Laurent Selection - Pinot Noir's deep, dark and savory love child finds a home in Austria.
- 2010 Juris Pinot Noir Selection - Think you know Pinot? Then you need to get to know Austria.
See a listing of local retailers selling this wine here.