|Much more than a fancy bottle.|
67% Macabeo and 33% Parellada from Penedes, Spain.
SRP of $25 and available for as low as $18. Sample submitted for review.
From the winery:
"The opening aromas are from aging on the lees, lightly smokey, with touches of biscuit or bread, which are followed by hints of honey, fruit and flower petals. The palate is excellent, fruity and full of flavor, with dried fruits delivering a delightful sense of abundance.Cava used to be known as Spanish champagne and is pretty much precisely that -- even if the EU no longer allows Spanish producers to call it such. Cava is produced using the same method as Champagne where the wine undergoes a secondary fermentation in the bottle. And while the bottle may be the first thing you'll notice on this wine, it shouldn't be the last.
This Cava defines elegant refreshment, even in it's presentation. It is a perfect companion for creamy pastas, such as alfredo. It marries perfectly with meat dishes, such as pork and chicken.
The Reserva Heredad is impressive in all aspects, beginning with the pewter base and family crest on the bottle, but don't think you're just getting a good show with nothing to back it up. From grape to glass it takes three years to produce a bottle of this wine. Speaking of those grapes, they are 100% hand harvested. Even the turning of the bottles (riddling) while they age is done by hand. (That doesn't sound like much but it is a manual, time-consuming process that is rarely done by hand today.) But let's get on to the taste, shall we?
Other wines in the Holiday Sparklers 2012 series:
- Le Grand Courtage Blanc De Blancs Brut - Holiday Sparklers 2012
- 90 Plus Cellars Lot 49 Sparkling Rosé - Beautiful (Pink) Bubbles.
- Douglas Green The Beach House Sparkling Wine - A Sweet and Fruity Holiday Sparkler.
- Vovetti Prosecco - A Popular Italian Sparkler
- Freixenet Elyssia Gran Cuvee Brut - Champagne By Another Name
- Cantine Maschio Prosecco Brut - Nutty, Fruity and Good. Holiday Sparklers 2012.
- Enza Prosecco - A Festive Holiday Sparkler!
- Anna de Codorniu Cava Brut - Crazy for Cava
- Angove Zibibbo Sparkling Pink Moscato - A Super Sweet Holiday Sparkler
See a listing of local retailers selling this wine here.
Taste Rating: 9 Cost Rating: 3
Overall Rating: 7.5
Find out more about my rating system and check out the Wine Ranking to find all my reviews! You can sort by type of wine, cost, rating, etc. in the interactive database.
Like The Reverse Wine Snob on Facebook!