100% Saint Laurent from Neusiedlersee, Burgenland, Austria.
SRP of $22 and available for as low as $16, but typically closer to $20. Sample submitted for review.
From the winery:
“St. Laurent is a wild cross between Pinot Noir and an unknown variety. Likely originating from France, it is now native to Burgenland. In the early 1980’s, Axel’s father Georg was among the first to focus on single varietal bottling of St. Laurent. The “Selection” St Laurent is sourced from vineyards of approximately 15 years cloned from the best of their old vines.
It’s been a few weeks since we’ve featured a wine in our Awesome Austrians series, but we’re back today with the third major red grape grown in Austria, St. Laurent (aka Sankt Laurent or Saint Laurent). As you read in the quote from the winery, St. Laurent is believed to be the offspring of Pinot Noir and another, unknown red grape. It is also one of the parents of Zweigelt along withBlaufrankisch. Those two varieties make up the remaining major Austrian red grape varieties we’ve already covered.
The 2010 Juris St Laurent Selection begins with deep and dark aromas of black pepper, dark fruit, leather, spice and violet. Together all these components create a very enticing, earthy aroma that reminds me of a Cabernet Franc. When tasting the wine the deep and dark theme continues with really tasty sour dark fruit, more black pepper and earthy notes, and a little leather. Add in nice grippy tannins, good acidity and a substantial smooth mouthfeel and you have a really savory wine. It ends with succulent dark fruit, a bit on the sour side, and good length. Another awesome Austrian!
Wine in the Awesome Austrians series:
- 2010 Zantho Zweigelt – A perfect wine for Thanksgiving dinner.
- 2011 Laurenz V. Singing Gruner Veltliner – At this price it just might make you sing!
- 2010 IBY Blaufrankisch Classic – A Beauty From Burgenland.
- 2010 Laurenz V. Charming Gruner Veltliner – Smooth and Steely.
- 2009 Meinhard Forstreiter Zvy-Gelt Zweigelt – Fresh From The Garden!
- 2010 Juris St Laurent Selection – Pinot Noir’s deep, dark and savory love child finds a home in Austria.
- 2010 Juris Pinot Noir Selection – Think you know Pinot? Then you need to get to know Austria.
See a listing of local retailers selling this wine here.