Don't Miss A Review!

Friday, June 7, 2013

Andrew Murray Vineyards Tous Les Jours Syrah 2011 - Another Home Run

Bulk Buy!

Andrew Murray Vineyards Tous Les Jours Syrah 2011 - Another Home Run
One of the best wines under $20 that we've ever tasted.

100% Syrah from Santa Ynez, California.

SRP of $16 and available for as low as $13. Sample submitted for review but I have also purchased this wine.

From the winemaker:
"The 2011 vintage is remarkably dark and full-bodied, and yet it has such gentle tannins. It is truly a pleasure to drink, especially at the price. Lots of fruit and spices here...no need to wax poetic about this one as it tastes just plain yummy.

We feel the wine makes an ideal "House Wine" the wine you open just for the heck of it, or just to pour a single glass, the rest to be enjoyed later. And at this price, why not? However, we do not skimp on the winemaking for this wine. We start with great grapes from Paso Robles and the Santa Ynez Valley and use the different climates to create a wine that is both fruity and spicy at the same time. I use my experiences with both New World and Old World style winemaking to make the most drinkable Syrah imaginable.

14.5% Alcohol"
We've long, long, long been fans of Andrew Murray Vineyards and the always affordable Tous Les Jours Syrah in particular, loving several vintages of this wine all the way back to the 2007. We loved them so much that the wine has made multiple appearances on our Top Red Wines Under $20 list and it even had a long run in the #1 spot. We've reviewed many other AMV wines as well, most recently the 2011 vintage of the Esperance which we also adored; however, it's always been the Tous Les Jours that really falls into our sweet spot being both 100% Syrah and typically available for less than $15.

This is also the first vintage of this wine to be almost completely sourced (95%) from Santa Ynez Valley, with the other 5% coming from Paso Robles. In the past this wine has always carried the Central Coast designation, but now that the wine is completely sourced closer to home, it gets the Santa Ynez Valley AVA. This is certainly sounds like a good sign for the quality of the wine, but let's give it a taste!

The 2011 Andrew Murray Vineyards Tous Les Jours Syrah begins with intoxicatingly deep aromas of dark fruit, violets, pepper, mint and oak. Tasting the wine reveals juicy blackberry and plum interlaced with wonderful peppery spice, fantastic acidity, and savory dried herbs. A bit of earthiness comes out on the long, dry and very satisfying finish that also features more of that wonderful peppery spice.

Another home run for the Tous Les Jours and a wine that will no doubt find a spot on our next Top Red Wines Under $20 list! What is perhaps most encouraging to me is that as production of this wine has increased (3,900 cases in 2011 versus only 2,200 cases for the 2009 vintage) the quality has not wavered. This also means that the wine appears to be more widely available now than it has ever been -- a quick look on wine-searcher shows that it can be found at numerous outlets including our featured sponsor Marketview Liquor!

Buy this wine online from our featured sponsor Marketview Liquor or see a listing of local retailers selling this wine here.

Taste Rating: 10              Cost Rating: 6
Overall Rating: 9.0


Find out more about my rating system and check out the Wine Ranking to find all my reviews! You can sort by type of wine, cost, rating, etc. in the interactive database.

Like The Reverse Wine Snob on Facebook and add our page to your circles on Google+!


Please Share!

Pin It

Follow Us On Facebook and Twitter For More Great Content!





Get The Reverse Wine Snob In Your Inbox!

Don't Miss A Recommended Buy! Enter your email address to subscribe:

Check your email for the Feedburner confirmation link to complete the subscription.

You can also subscribe via RSS.