|A perfect partner for a pizza!|
85% Sangiovese, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon and 5% Syrah from Tuscany, Italy.
Purchased for $5.99. Available exclusively at Trader Joe's.
From the bottle:
"In 1967, one year before I was born and two years before Woodstock and the first Moon-walking, my uncle Giorgio blended the first Toscana using a special ageing method that is still used today in our Grifone cellar to obtain a fruity, soft and smooth Sangiovese based "Supertuscan" from grapes selected on the Tyrrhenian coastal vineyards.Cheap Italian red wines like today's selection is an area where Trader Joe's really excels. We'll have several more for you in this week's series but first let's review where we've been:
Wine in the Trader Joe's Week series:
- Berton Vineyard The Black Shiraz 2011 - Trader Joe's Week Wine #1. Plus The Trader Joe's Pricing Strategy Revealed!
- Cheap and Refreshing White Wines - Trader Joe's Week Wines #2 and #3
- Cantina Del Grifone 1967 Toscana 2009 - Trader Joe's Week Wine #4. A perfect partner for a pizza!
- Pontificis GSM Blend 2011 - Trader Joe's Week Wine #5. A GSM blend for the masses!
- Brunello and Barbaresco On The Cheap - Trader Joe's Week Wines #6 and #7. The 2008 Sommavite Brunello di Montalcino Annata and the 2009 Rocca dell'Olmo Barbaresco
- TJ's Classics - Trader Joe's Week Wines #8, #9 and #10. The 2011 Cocobon Red Wine, 2011 Trentatre Rosso 33 and 2009 Epicuro Salice Salentino Riserva.
- Also be sure to check our Costco Week series for another source of great, inexpensive and widely available wine!
Taste Rating: 7 Cost Rating: 10
Overall Rating: 7.8
Find out more about my rating system and check out the Wine Ranking to find all my reviews! You can sort by type of wine, cost, rating, etc. in the interactive database.
Don't Miss A Recommended Buy! Subscribe to our daily email to get The Reverse Wine Snob in your inbox!