|A GSM blend for the masses!|
50% Grenache, 30% Syrah and 20% Mourvedre from Vin Pays d'Oc, Languedoc-Roussillon, France.
Available exclusively at Trader Joe's. Purchased for $6.99.
From the bottle:
"Produced in the Languedoc-Roussillon, between sea and mountain, from the three local grape varieties Grenache (50%), Syrah (30%) and Mourvedre (20%), Pontificis is deep purple in colour, with aromas of spice, black fruits and herbs and a palate of supple, yet rich spicy fruit. It is a beautiful representation of the best of the South of France.The 2011 Badet Clement Pontificis GSM Blend begins with pleasant aromas of dark red fruit, a few oaky notes, menthol and some light herbal notes. I also got a touch of heat on the nose which is surprising given this wine is only 13.5% alcohol. Tasting the wine reveals more dark fruit along with leather, tobacco and oak notes. It's a bit rough but still quite good and enjoyable to drink. It ends dry with good length and lingering tobacco notes. Overall it's a nice GSM blend at an even nicer price.
Enjoy at 64F with meats in sauce, mediterranean dishes, marinated game and cheeses.
Wine in the Trader Joe's Week series:
- Berton Vineyard The Black Shiraz 2011 - Trader Joe's Week Wine #1. Plus The Trader Joe's Pricing Strategy Revealed!
- Cheap and Refreshing White Wines - Trader Joe's Week Wines #2 and #3
- Cantina Del Grifone 1967 Toscana 2009 - Trader Joe's Week Wine #4. A perfect partner for a pizza!
- Pontificis GSM Blend 2011 - Trader Joe's Week Wine #5. A GSM blend for the masses!
- Brunello and Barbaresco On The Cheap - Trader Joe's Week Wines #6 and #7. The 2008 Sommavite Brunello di Montalcino Annata and the 2009 Rocca dell'Olmo Barbaresco
- TJ's Classics - Trader Joe's Week Wines #8, #9 and #10. The 2011 Cocobon Red Wine, 2011 Trentatre Rosso 33 and 2009 Epicuro Salice Salentino Riserva.
- Also be sure to check our Costco Week series for another source of great, inexpensive and widely available wine!
Taste Rating: 7 Cost Rating: 9
Overall Rating: 7.5
Find out more about my rating system and check out the Wine Ranking to find all my reviews! You can sort by type of wine, cost, rating, etc. in the interactive database.
Like The Reverse Wine Snob on Facebook and add our page to your circles on Google+!