SRP of $16 and available at that price. 200 cases produced. Sample submitted for review.
From the bottle:
“Located in the Central Valley of California, “The Dodge House” property began as fishing grounds for the Miwok indians as far back as 1776. It sits on a stream called “Calaveras” meaning “place of skulls.” It is here on this historical site that Jonathan Holt Dodge built a home in 1866 and soon after planted a successful vineyard of imported wine and table grapes. The vineyard was planted in collaboration with George West, founder of one of the first wineries in San Joaquin county.
The Scott Family would like to honor the Dodge Family and their contribution to the county by preserving the home and its history.
While Lodi may be best known for its Zinfandel, we’ve already seen this is no one-trick pony with the first wine in this series, the Uvaggio Vermentino. Today Lodi shows a bit more of its range with a delightful Rosé featuring a blend of Barbera and Sangiovese — a combination I have not had in a rosé before.
The 2012 Sorelle Winery Bella e Rosa begins with pleasant aromas of strawberry, cranberry and watermelon. While the aroma is nice, it’s fairly typical for a rosé; however, the comparison to a typical rosé ends with your initial taste of this wine. The first thing to stand out is the simply wonderful smooth and thick texture. Then there’s the combination of delicious fruit flavors like strawberry, watermelon jolly rancher and nectarine combined with just the right amount of honeyed sweetness. Finally come zesty, mineral soaked citrus notes to close the wine out. Just a lovely wine — the combination of grapes and the delightful texture vault this one far beyond your standard rosé.
Wine in the Loco for Lodi Series:
- Uvaggio Vermentino 2011 – Loco for Lodi
- Michael David Winery Petite Petit 2010 – Just Plain Fun To Drink
- Klinker Brick Old Vine Zinfandel 2010 – A Classic Lodi Zin
- Macchia Amorous Sangiovese 2011 – Lovely!
- Ravenswood Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel 2010 – Super Ripe and Rich
- Sorelle Winery Bella e Rosa 2012 – More Than Your Typical Rosé
- Noble Vines 337 Cabernet Sauvignon 2010 – A Brilliant Burger Wine
- Sorelle Winery Bellezza Fra Barbera 2011 – A Beauty Of A Barbera
- Gnarly Head Authentic Red 2010 – Ready to Party
See a listing of local retailers selling this wine here.