- 2009 Altovinum Calatayud Evodia.
A 100% Spanish Garnacha that is unbelievably complex at only $6.99. I bought it at Costco but this wine should be available at other retailers.
- 2008 Concannon Vineyard Conservancy Petite Sirah. New to the list this month. The first Petite Sirah I reviewed and it’s a good one. Should be widely available for $10, a great price for a great wine.
- 2008 Willamette Valley Vineyards Pinot Noir. Another Costco exclusive. This wine is tied for first place in the Taste rating, but the $16.99 price tag knocks down the overall rating a bit. Smooooooooth.
- 2009 DnA Vineyards Benefactor Cellars. This blend of 50% Zinfandel, 40% Syrah, 10% Carignane is a little on the hot side, but amazingly good for only $4.99. Only at Trader Joe’s.
- 2006 Palarea Merlot. Another wine new to the list this month. This one has a $15 price tag and may be a bit harder to find, but well worth it. I believe the words I used to describe it were “magnificently delicious”!
- 2009 Folie à Deux Ménage à Trois Red.
A nice everyday blend of Zinfandel, Merlot, and Cabernet Sauvignon that is widely available. $7.49 at Costco.
- 2009 Kirkland Signature Rutherford Napa Valley Meritage. 70% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Merlot, 12% Petit Verdot, and 3% Cabernet Franc. $13.99, available exclusively at Costco, but supply is likely running low. This is a big wine that delivers a big taste.
- 2010 Familia Zuccardi Santa Julia Organica Malbec. A third wine new to the Top 10 list this month. Just a really nice Malbec that should be available widely for around $9, and it’s organic too!
- 2008 Château Labrande Cahors Malbec. A fruity Malbec/Merlot blend that is quite nice. Only $9.98 at Costco but should be widely available.
- 2009 Concha y Toro Carménère Casillero del Diablo. Available widely, but I purchased for $8.99 at Trader Joe’s. Having a steak? You want a bottle of this wine.
Previously ranked wines no longer available (but drink ’em if you got ’em):
- 2009 Kirkland Signature Malbec. #2 on the list previously. Only $7.99, this one sold out very quickly at Costco.
- 2008 Charles Smith Boom Boom Syrah. A spicy Syrah that has a bit of boom to it. This one was #9 on the March 2011 Top 10 list. Was $14.99 at Costco. The 2009 is out now, but we have yet to try it.
Click through to the individual wines to find the full reviews including a link with local retailers who carry each wine. Cheers!
The top 10 list is subject to change at any time as new wines are reviewed. I will be posting a summary of the top 10 every couple months, but as always you can check out the the full listings of wines and ratings in the Interactive Wine Rating Chart! You can sort by type of wine, cost, rating, etc. in the interactive spreadsheet.
Other recent editions of the Top 10 Under $20 lists: