100% Monastrell from Jumilla, Murcia, Spain.
Purchased for only $5.99 at Costco!
From the bottle:
"The image of the passion flower was chosen for Tarima because the blossom never ceases to amaze and entice people around the world. The vivid colors and complex structure draws you in for a closer look; just as the color and aromas of this wine attract your attention. Made from Monastrell grapes grown on gnarled vines in the rugged, arid climate of Alicante, Tarima blossoms in your glass with notes of licorice, chocolate and a hint of dark violets.
Monastrell is the Spanish name for Mourvèdre, a variety which is usually high in tannins and alcohol and thus a popular variety to use in blends. Mourvèdre is most commonly relegated to being the "M" in the famous Rhone style GSM blends, but it actually has a bit of a popular solo career in areas of Spain under the Monastrell moniker.
Today's wine is a joint venture of Jorge Ordonez who is behind the excellent line of Borsao wines like the Borsao Berola 2008 - Absolutely Fabulous and the Gil family who are famous for making Monastrell in and around Jumilla. They also had a hand in Wednesday's wine, the Atteca Old Vines Garnacha 2010 - Powerfully good Garnacha! So while the Tarima certainly has a good pedigree, at a price well under $10 can it deliver a winning performance?
The 2011 Bodegas Volver Tarima Monastrell begins with really nice fragrant aromas of dark fruit (blackberry and blueberry) along with some excellent floral notes. It smells delicious. The wine tastes smooth with a silky texture, juicy fruit, bright acidity and lots of mineral notes including some lightly chalky tannins. You can almost taste the limestone the vines were grown in! It ends dry with good length and more dark fruit and minerality. Don't think $6 goes very far in today's wine world? Think again!
Wine in the 2013 Costco Week Series!
- Wine #1: Bodegas Barco de Piedra Tempranillo 2011 - Tastes like a lot more than $10!
- Wine #2: Kirkland Signature Malbec 2011 - Plenty good, but it's not a pop and pour proposition.
- Wine #3: Atteca Old Vines Garnacha 2010 - Powerfully good Garnacha! BULK BUY!
- Wine #4: La Massa Toscana 2010 - More Massa for me please. BULK BUY!
- Wine #5: Tarima Monastrell 2011 - The M in GSM takes the stage under a different name and brings down the house.
- Wine #6: Castello Banfi Belnero 2009 - A Budget (Quasi-)Brunello
See a listing of local retailers selling this wine here.