SRP of $30 and available for as low as $20 at Costco.
From the bottle:
“As one of the founders of the Meritage Alliance in 1988, Estancia remains devoted to making world class Bordeaux style blends from our California estate vineyards. Our 2009 Meritage expresses the true terroir of our Keyes Canyon Vineyard in Paso Robles. Sweet cherry and chocolate aromas from Cabernet Sauvignon, soft and lush fruit from Merlot and firm, structured tannins from Petit Verdot harmoniously come together to create a classic blend.
We’re nearing the end of our series on Meritage so today we turn to one of the original members of the Meritage Alliance, Estancia Estates. Their Meritage blend remains one of the most popular based on the number of searches on Wine-Searcher:
The 2009 Estancia Reserve Meritage begins with tons of blackcurrants and a plethora of sweet oak notes on the nose — vanilla, caramel, and nutmeg are a few of the highlights. The wine tastes sweet and rich with more blackcurrant plus blackberry and raisin fruit. Major oak influence continues with loads of vanilla, chocolate and caramel flavors in the mouth. The whole thing is wrapped up in a surprisingly smooth package. Fans of Apothic Red will find a lot to like in this wine, which I would consider a nice step up in quality. It ends dry with a little spice and a whole lot more rich fruit and sweet oak.
Wine in the “Make Mine A Meritage” series:
- Lyeth Meritage 2010 – Make Mine A Meritage Wine #1
- Hahn Winery Central Coast Meritage 2010 – This ain’t no second class Bordeaux.
- Dry Creek Vineyard Sonoma County Meritage 2008 – Smooth Drinking Ahead!
- Fox Run Vineyards Meritage 2010 – Proof the Finger Lakes offers a lot more than Riesling.
- Arrowhead Red Meritage 2008 – It’s easy to fall for this Meritage from Niagara.
- Dry Creek Vineyard The Mariner Meritage 2008 – Splice the mainbrace!
- Estancia Reserve Meritage 2009 – Sweet oak and rich fruit wrapped up in a smooth package.
- Kirkland Signature Rutherford Napa Valley Meritage 2011 – A Sure Thing!
- Chateau Ste Michelle Artist Series Meritage 2008 – A Work of Art
- Arrowhead Spring Vineyards Meritage Reserve 2008 – A blackberry patch in a bottle.
- Franciscan Estate Magnificat Napa Valley Meritage 2009 – Magnificent Magnificat.