48% Cabernet Sauvignon, 35% Merlot, 8% Petit Verdot, 6% Malbec and 3% Cabernet Franc from Dry Creek Valley, California.
SRP of $40 and available for as low as $34. Sample submitted for review.
From the bottle:
"In spite of rock and tempest's roar, in spite of false lights on the shore, sail on, nor fear to breast the sea! -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, 1890.
Now celebrating our 40th anniversary, this Meritage blend represents our best effort to produce an exquisitely balanced and textured wine with the ability to age for a decade or more. By definition, Meritage is the "merit" of the grape and the "heritage" of the vineyard and is a true winemaker's art form. Greater than the sum of its collective parts, this vintage spent 26 months aging in French oak, of which 53% was new oak. The blend is 48% Cabernet Sauvignon, 35% Merlot, 8% Petit Verdot, 6% Malbec and 3% Cabernet Franc.
You may be wondering what the "Splice the mainbrace" reference is all about. Well, you see, this is the command given on naval ships to supply the crew with a celebratory drink after the completion of a hard task. Today's wine is absolutely worthy of a celebration. And I imagine crafting a wine this good was no easy task.
How can I best describe the aromas on the 2008 Dry Creek Vineyard The Mariner Meritage? Lovely...beautiful...tantalizing... I think you get the picture. The primary aromas are red and black fruit, spice and a little cedar. The wine tastes great right from the get go but give it a couple hours to breathe and wow! Flavors of black currants, red berries, black cherry, tea, and licorice are wrapped up in a wonderful spicy texture that dances across your tongue. You'll even find some nice dusty tannins. The finish is dry and long and the whole thing might be even better on day 2!
Wine in the "Make Mine A Meritage" series:
- Lyeth Meritage 2010 - Make Mine A Meritage Wine #1
- Hahn Winery Central Coast Meritage 2010 - This ain't no second class Bordeaux.
- Dry Creek Vineyard Sonoma County Meritage 2008 - Smooth Drinking Ahead!
- Fox Run Vineyards Meritage 2010 - Proof the Finger Lakes offers a lot more than Riesling.
- Arrowhead Red Meritage 2008 - It's easy to fall for this Meritage from Niagara.
- Dry Creek Vineyard The Mariner Meritage 2008 - Splice the mainbrace!
- Estancia Reserve Meritage 2009 - Sweet oak and rich fruit wrapped up in a smooth package.
- Kirkland Signature Rutherford Napa Valley Meritage 2011 - A Sure Thing!
- Chateau Ste Michelle Artist Series Meritage 2008 - A Work of Art
- Arrowhead Spring Vineyards Meritage Reserve 2008 - A blackberry patch in a bottle.
- Franciscan Estate Magnificat Napa Valley Meritage 2009 - Magnificent Magnificat.
See a listing of local retailers selling this wine here.