100% Zweigelt from Niederosterreich, Austria.
SRP of $12 and available for as low as $8. Sample submitted for review.
From the bottle:
"If you like Pinot Noir, you'll love Zvy-Gelt. A brand new wine made from Zweigelt, the #1 red wine grape of Austria. Velvety and full of concentrated fruit. Spicy, with ripe cherries. Easy drinking. Perfect for every occasion and great with food - meat, poultry, cheese, even seafood and veggies - you name it, it's great with Zvy-Gelt.
It's been a couple weeks since we've covered a wine in our Awesome Austrians series, but we're back today with another delicious one, and we've got several more to come! First, a quick recap where we've been...
Wine in the Awesome Austrians series:
- 2010 Zantho Zweigelt - A perfect wine for Thanksgiving dinner.
- 2011 Laurenz V. Singing Gruner Veltliner - At this price it just might make you sing!
- 2010 IBY Blaufrankisch Classic - A Beauty From Burgenland.
- 2010 Laurenz V. Charming Gruner Veltliner - Smooth and Steely.
- 2009 Meinhard Forstreiter Zvy-Gelt Zweigelt - Fresh From The Garden!
- 2010 Juris St Laurent Selection - Pinot Noir's deep, dark and savory love child finds a home in Austria.
- 2010 Juris Pinot Noir Selection - Think you know Pinot? Then you need to get to know Austria.
There's good reason Zweigelt is the Number 1 red wine in Austria. And if you remember our first review of a Zweigelt in this series you know that this variety is a great match for the current winter season. In other words, if you haven't yet tried this grape, now's the time.
The 2009 Meinhard Forstreiter Zvy-Gelt Zweigelt begins with aromas of spicy cranberry, vanilla and a really nice earthy quality. Tasting the wine reveals this same earthy character along with sweet red cherry, spice and a little berry. This light-to-medium-bodied wine has a soft texture, good acidity and a strong vegetal quality to it. Definitely different than what you're used to and very tasty. On the long finish the juicy fruit turns a bit sour. Reminds me of working in the garden thanks to the earthy aromas and vegetal qualities.
See a listing of local retailers selling this wine here.
Overall Rating: 7.5
Find out more about my rating system and check out the Wine Ranking to find all my reviews! You can sort by type of wine, cost, rating, etc. in the interactive database.
Like The Reverse Wine Snob on Facebook!