This post brought to you by:
SRP of $28 and available for as low as $20. Produced by Perrin et Fils and imported by Vineyard Brands.
From the winery:
“Since 1970, La Vieille Ferme has been producing authentic, honest and tasty wines vintage after vintage. In some of the world’s best restaurants and bars, La Vieille Ferme has been acknowledged as one of the best value for money wines in the world.
The Perrin family, also owners of the famous Château de Beaucastel, search for the most suitable terroirs to produce a fresh and fruity wine. Unpretentious, this is the archetypal pleasure wine; authentic, genuine and tasty.
Today’s box comes from Cotes du Ventoux, which is in the Rhone in France but is a separate appellation from Cotes du Rhone. Nevertheless the wine made here is very similar to those of thesouthern Rhone and that’s a very good thing. One of the few boxes in this series that we actually completely finished, this was one of our go-to wines for those nights when every other box we opened just didn’t measure up.
The La Vieille Ferme Vin Rouge begins with very pleasant aromas of black cherry, plum and a little lavender along with nice touches of dried herbs, spice and even a hint of an earthy note. Tasting reveals a supremely satisfying, well-rounded, medium-bodied wine filled with juicy fruit, good acidity and some more of those dried herbs and spice notes from the nose. There’s absolutely nothing not to like here (especially at this price) and, in fact, a whole lot to love. It ends dry and grippy with good length, lingering fruit and dried herbs. Excellent!
Recommended selections in our series on The Best Box Wines:
- Vinchio-Vaglio Serra Piemonte Barbera
- Big House White Blend
- Alain Jaume & Fils Grand Veneur Cotes du Rhone Reserve
- Black Box Platinum Central Coast Cabernet Sauvignon
- Esporao Alandra White
- Vina Borgia Garnacha
- The Original House Wine Riesling
- Esporao Alandra Red
- La Petite Frog Picpoul De Pinet
- Pepperwood Grove The Big Green Box Pinot Noir
- Target Wine Cube Sauvignon Blanc
- La Vieille Ferme Vin Rouge
- Duca Del Frassino Garganega/Pinot Grigio
- Wineberry Domaine de Garrigon Cotes du Rhone
- Lieb Cellars Bridge Lane White Blend
- Fuori Strada Off Road Sangiovese
- Jack Tone Vineyards White Blend
- See the full list of all 75 boxes considered here.
Overall Rating: 8.5
Don’t Miss A Recommended Buy! Subscribe to our daily email to get The Reverse Wine Snob in your inbox. You can now also PRE-ORDER my book an Amazon: Reverse Wine Snob: How to Buy and Drink Great Wine without Breaking the Bank!