Zinfandel from Lodi, California.
SRP of $19 and available for as low as $14. Sample submitted for review.
From the winery:
“The 2010 vintage in Lodi was extraordinary with a long, cool growing season yielding beautiful, evenly ripened fruit. With aromas of black cherry, cedar shavings, vanilla and spice, this wine offers rich, supple flavors of cherries and plum, perfect balance and a long, smooth, lingering finish. Nutmeg, cardamom and pepper enhance an exotic nose but bright, dark fruits enhance a superb mouth filling experience. Our winemaker thinks this may be the vintage of the century!
So what exactly is a Classic Lodi Zin, you might ask? I’d describe it as a value-priced, big, rich, spicy, high alcohol Zinfandel from old vines (85 years old in the case of this wine). As we’ve discussed in the first couple installments of this series (here and here), Lodi is a great value region for all types of wine. However, when I had the opportunity to ask a couple of winemakers from the area which variety offered the very best value compared to other regions, the quick reply came back as Zinfandel. And the Klinker Brick was offered up as the “Quintessential Lodi Zin”.
The 2010 Klinker Brick Old Vine Zinfandel begins with a very pleasant aroma of black raspberry and other dark fruits, mint, and spice. Tasting the wine reveals remarkably little heat considering the 15.8% alcohol. The wine is smooth and soft with lots of rich dark fruit and spice. It’s frankly quite fun to drink with lots of rich flavors, vanilla and caramel. Some oaky notes flow into the long finish. Very nice!
Wine in the Loco for Lodi Series:
- Uvaggio Vermentino 2011 – Loco for Lodi
- Michael David Winery Petite Petit 2010 – Just Plain Fun To Drink
- Klinker Brick Old Vine Zinfandel 2010 – A Classic Lodi Zin
- Macchia Amorous Sangiovese 2011 – Lovely!
- Ravenswood Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel 2010 – Super Ripe and Rich
- Sorelle Winery Bella e Rosa 2012 – More Than Your Typical Rosé
- Noble Vines 337 Cabernet Sauvignon 2010 – A Brilliant Burger Wine
- Sorelle Winery Bellezza Fra Barbera 2011 – A Beauty Of A Barbera
- Gnarly Head Authentic Red 2010 – Ready to Party
Overall Rating: 7.5
Don’t Miss A Recommended Buy! Subscribe to our daily email to get The Reverse Wine Snob in your inbox!