SRP of $15 and available for as low as $8. Imported by W.J. Deutsch and Sons Ltd.
From the bottle:
“Established in 1781 in the Northern Rhone Valley, Vidal-Fleury is the oldest continuously operating winery in the Rhone Valley. Today we vinify and age wines from the Rhone’s renowned appellations, focusing on the choicest terroirs. Vidal-Fleury Cotes du Rhone is a typical Southern Rhone wine, principally Grenache (65%) complemented by Syrah (20%), Mourvedre (10%) and Carignan (5%).
Food pairing: Red and white meats, pizza, barbecue, pasta and cheese.
Just like the Bulk Buy selection that went along with our article on the Northern Rhone, today we’ve got a great Southern Rhone Valley pick to go along with yesterday’s Part Two of our Rhone Valley Adventures.
Even better, to aid in your own exploration of the wines of the Rhone Valley our friends at Marketview Liquor are offering a special promotion for readers of The Reverse Wine Snob. For the next week get free shipping on orders of 6+ bottles (mix & match, expires 11:59:59pm 9/19/2014) on any of the following fabulous Rhone Valley Values!
- Domaine de Andezon Cotes Du Rhone. Check out our review of this highly recommended wine here.
- Chapoutier Belleruche Cotes-du-Rhone Blanc
- Jaboulet “Parallele 45” Cotes du Rhone
- Domaine La Grand Ribe “Centainaire” Cote Du Rhone Villages
- Seigneur de Lauris Vacqueyras
- E. Guigal Gigondas
- Plateau des Chenes Lirac Rouge
- Chateau du Trignon Cotes Du Rhone Roussanne
- Perrin & Fils Reserve Cotes du Rhone Blanc
- E.Guigal Cotes du Rhone Rose
- And of course, today’s Bulk Buy, the J Vidal-Fleury Cotes du Rhone!
Speaking of today’s wine, the 2011 Vidal-Fleury Cotes du Rhone Rouge begins with a very aromatic nose of black cherry, dried herbs, vanilla and violets that sucks you right into the glass. There’s also just a touch of French funk. Tasting reveals lots of ripe, dark, juicy fruit intertwined with excellent spice notes. Cola, licorice, more dried herbs, black pepper, some great earthy notes and grippy tannins lead into the long, dry finish. This wine offers a whole lot of complexity for under $10. Fantastic!
Overall Rating: 8.3
Don’t Miss A Recommended Buy! Subscribe to our daily email to get The Reverse Wine Snob in your inbox!