Learn more about our winery direct INSIDER DEALS here.
Balanced and elegant, 91-93 point, single vineyard Sangiovese from DaVero Winery. A new vintage of the Highly Recommended Avivo Sangiovese is our latest Insider Deal.
As you've probably noticed from our previous Insider Deals, we love a good Sangiovese. Today we have exactly that coming from the River's Edge Vineyard located in the Mokelumne River AVA between Lodi and the Sierra Foothills.
Just 930 cases were produced of this excellent wine that we first offered with the 2018 vintage. We're delighted to bring this one back, especially since we need to restock ourselves and our price is substantially lower this time!
Aged 9 months in neutral French oak, the grapes are farmed biodynamically and the wine is made with the least amount of intervention possible - native yeasts and no additions except a micro-dose of sulphur (<30pppm) at bottling. It is also one of just a handful of American wines that are certified to be free of glyphosate (RoundUp®) residue.
With a score of 90 points from Wine Enthusiast (and 91-93 points from us), this 100% Sangiovese has an extremely reasonable SRP of $20. So reasonable, in fact, that when this wine isn't sold directly from the winery, it's almost always listed at higher than the SRP, sometimes even 50% more!
Of course, that's not the way we roll with our winery direct deals here at Reverse Wine Snob...
Today's Insider Deal gets you 4 bottles of the 91-93 point Avivo Sangiovese for just $57.99, or only $14.50 a bottle.
Buy multiples and you save even more since you'll never pay more than $6.99 shipping, no matter how many 4-packs you buy. Read on for our full review.
This 4-pack deal is available to ship to the following states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, IA, ID, IL, IN, LA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MT, NC, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, TX, VA, VT, WA, WV, WI and WY. (These states are dependent on the individual licenses of the offering winery and are not representative of all our deals. Every deal can have different, sometimes more, sometimes less, states available.)
This limited time, winery direct offer ends Wednesday 2/15/2023 at noon (PT) unless it sells out sooner.
Clicking on the buy button above will take you to the site winedealmaker.com to checkout. If you don't see the embedded buy box click here to order.
From the winery:
The Avivo Sangiovese opens with notes of ripe, red apple, rhubarb jam, clove, and nutmeg. The palate is bright with ﬂavors reminiscent of cooked pecans, fruit compote, and charcuterie for depth and balance. The ﬁnish is refreshing but tempered with a velvet mouthfeel that begs for another sip.
Vineyard: Sourced from our partners the Ledbetter Family Vineyards in Lodi, California. The Sangiovese is planted up on the bench in rocky, well-drained soils. The vineyard is farmed to Demeter-certified standards of Biodynamics.
Vintage: The 2019 vintage will be remembered as one of the best of the decade. A wet winter followed by a wet spring started the year oﬀ a little late, but we needed that water! Northern California did not suﬀer the usual mid-July/August heat waves, frankly, the summer was extremely mild compared to most. As the fruit slowly ripened and rain remained absent, we realized the crop was short and the growing season nearly perfect. A great vintage for winemakers and consumers alike!
Fermentation: 90% of the grapes were de-stemmed only and transferred by gravity to open-top fermenters, the other 10% was left whole-cluster and added to the bottom of the tank. A long, cool 5-day cold soak was allowed before the tank was taken off cooling. The must was then fermented with indigenous yeast to promote complexity and terroir. The fermented wine was pressed off slightly before dryness to minimize harsh phenols and retain its core of fruit. Malolactic was completed with indigenous flora.
Produced and Bottled by Avivo Wines
The 2019 Avivo Sangiovese from DaVero Farms & Winery begins with a very pleasing aroma of red cherry and mixed berry aromas along with licorice, a little spice, some dried herbs and a touch of black olive.
Tasting reveals this to be a balanced, elegant, juicy, soft, lighter-bodied and definitively delicious example of Sangiovese. Super smooth, round and lush in the mouth, the wine features touches of black olive, earth, tobacco and spice along with more mixed berry and plum fruit. It's also fantastic with food.
It ends dry, clean and quite long. While it needs several hours to open up and be at its best, it's drinking wonderfully right now and should continue to do so over the next 3-5 years. This is excellent once again. We'll be stocking up!