A Bulk Buy rating on a Portuguese red blend at a great Costco price, the Pocas Vale de Cavalos.
50% Touriga Nacional, 20% Touriga Franca, 20% Tinta Roriz and 10% Tinta Barroca from 40-60 year old vines in the Douro Superior subregion of the Douro Valley in Portugal. 20% of the wine is aged in 2nd year French "Allier" oak casks and the other 80% in stainless steel. It has just 0.6 g/L of residual sugar.
From the region of Douro Superior, and vinified at Quinta das Quartas, this lovely red embodies red fruit with a touch of oak.
Aroma: Fresh and fruity profile (blueberries and raspberries notes).
Palate: Pleasant aromatic expression, good mouth volume, with predominance of fruit, showing elegance and freshness.
Serving Tips: It is ideally suited to meat, an assortment of medium to full-bodied cheeses, as well as wild game. Serve at 18ºC/64ºF.
The aroma on the 2016 Pocas Vale de Cavalos is a bit shy at first, but opens up to red and black cherry fruit with some nice, smoky dried herb notes. Tasting reveals lots of bold and juicy dark fruit and beautifully integrated spice notes along with touches of balsamic, leather and more. It's all wrapped up in a smooth texture with good acidity. It ends dry and quite long with lingering ripe fruit and spice. This is another great example of a Portuguese red blend!
No Costco in your area? Check your local retailers for this wine.