SRP of $12 and available for as low as $7.
From the winery:
"The characteristics of this wine are its typical deep ruby colour, vinous bouquet and dry harmonic taste. It is produced from only the best Sangiovese and Montepulciano grapes, and mellowed in oak barrels. It is a wine which is at its best served at room temperature to accompany all kinds of roast meat and game.
Today's wine comes from Rosso Piceno which is the largest DOC of the Marches region. It is also the baby brother to one of our very favorite red blends, the 2008 Saladini Pilastri Pregio del Conte - Montepulciano Plus Aglianico Equals Love -- a wine that is currently #4 on our Top 10 Red Wines Under $20 list. Just like its big brother, today's wine is made from organic grapes. And just like its big brother, it tastes excellent. The price; however, at just $6.99, might make your head swirl a bit!
The 2010 Saladini Pilastri Rosso Piceno has a simply wonderful, inviting bouquet that begins with a delightfully strong aroma of plum and dark berries plus a little mint and a few earthy notes. The wine tastes beautiful, smooth, fruity, dry and absolutely delicious. It features tons of luscious fruit that makes your mouth go "wow", soft tannins and a fabulous mouthfeel. The flavors are similar to the bouquet -- lots of dark berry fruit, a bit tart when tasting, plus some nice spice. The finish is soft, fruity and long. To say that I enjoyed this easy-drinking wine would be a huge understatement -- I loved it!
Wine in the $8 Italian Reds Series!
- Wine #1: Banfi Col Di Sasso Toscana 2010 - One Tasty and Food Flexible Tuscan.
- Wine #2: Piccini Chianti 2011 - The Uncomplicated Life.
- Wine #3: Tormaresca Neprica 2010 - A rich, chewy, fruity bomb of goodness.
- Wine #4: Vitiano Rosso 2010 - Cheap and Easy.
- Wine #5: Coltibuono Cetamura Chianti 2011 - The perfect Friday night pizza wine!
- Wine #6: Saladini Pilastri Rosso Piceno 2010 - Saving the best for last!
See a listing of local retailers selling this wine here.