A Sonoma County classic, we review the Seghesio Sonoma Zinfandel available widely including at many Costco locations.
86% Zinfandel, 10% Petite Sirah, 2% Alicante Bouschet and 2% mixed reds from vineyards across Sonoma County including Sonoma Valley, Russian River Valley, Alexander Valley and Dry Creek Valley, California. About 55% of the vineyards are estate owned.
The wine is aged for 10 months in barrel, 15% in once used American oak with the remaining 85% in neutral French and American oak. It has 4 g/L of residual sugar.
From the bottle:
At Seghesio Family Vineyards, the key word is family - the one you're born into and the one you choose. With the 2020 vintage, we celebrate 125 years and five generations of our family story. This Zinfandel was crafted from a selection of the best vineyards in Sonoma County to create a vibrant, balanced and bold wine.
Produced and Bottled by Seghesio Family Vineyards
Today's wine comes Seghesio Family Vineyards, who we visited many years ago (covered in our Delighting in the Dry Creek Valley recap). We still look back quite fondly on that visit and as we noted in that post, the winery has become virtually synonymous with Sonoma County Zinfandel. I wasn't able to find the current statistics but at that time a full 75% of their production came from this one wine!
Let's see if it's still as good as we remember.
The 2020 Seghesio Sonoma County Zinfandel begins with a tantalizing aroma full of dark fruit, including a bit of a raisin-y, prune-y note plus vanilla, licorice, anise and other spice. It's really quite harmonious.
Tasting the wine reveals similar flavors to the nose that are smooth and a bit brambly in the mouth. Really good after a few hours of air, it also has plenty of oaky spice notes plus more vanilla and licorice along with some cola, chocolate and wonderful dusty tannins.
It ends with a long, dry and slightly grippy finish. Consistently good from vintage to vintage, this is a can't miss crowd-pleaser.
2020 Seghesio Sonoma Zinfandel
Looking for more of The Best Zinfandel Under $20? You've come to the right spot! Check out our giant list!
You can also find more of our favorite Costco wines here.