SRP of $20 and available for as low as $17. Imported by MW Imports. Sample submitted for review.
From the bottle:
"Delight in Duca, the premium range of wines that balance superior quality, authentic Italian varietal character and exceptional taste in an innovative, sustainable package. Produced by one of Italy's most respected and progressive wine producers, Duca wines reflect the essence, flavors and breathtaking beauty of the Venezie region.
Premium Duca Garganega/Pinot Grigio is a charming white with a bouquet of green apple, pear and white flowers and delightful crisp flavors of apple and white pear that build on a long, lingering finish. Decant Duca and enjoy chilled as an aperitif or as an accompaniment to appetizers, salads, white meats, sushi and fresh seafood.
Despite the prominent positioning of Pinot Grigio on the box this wine is mostly (80%) Garganega, the primary varietal used in Soave -- and that's a good thing. Soave (pronounced So-Ah-Ve) was once an extremely popular wine that fell out of the limelight but is now experiencing a bit of a renaissance.
The 2013 Duca Del Frassino Garganega/Pinot Grigio from Cantina di Soave begins with pleasant aromas of green apple, pear, some light floral touches and just a hint of a nutty note. In the mouth you'll find a very fresh and tasty wine with good balance. It also has an excellent, full mouthfeel with a smooth, almost creamy, texture that is loaded with flavor. On the finish juicy fruit lingers for quite a while.
Recommended selections in our series on The Best Box Wines:
- Vinchio-Vaglio Serra Piemonte Barbera
- Big House White Blend
- Alain Jaume & Fils Grand Veneur Cotes du Rhone Reserve
- Black Box Platinum Central Coast Cabernet Sauvignon
- Esporao Alandra White
- Vina Borgia Garnacha
- The Original House Wine Riesling
- Esporao Alandra Red
- La Petite Frog Picpoul De Pinet
- Pepperwood Grove The Big Green Box Pinot Noir
- Target Wine Cube Sauvignon Blanc
- La Vieille Ferme Vin Rouge
- Duca Del Frassino Garganega/Pinot Grigio
- Wineberry Domaine de Garrigon Cotes du Rhone
- Lieb Cellars Bridge Lane White Blend
- Fuori Strada Off Road Sangiovese
- Jack Tone Vineyards White Blend
- See the full list of all 75 boxes considered here.
See a listing of local retailers selling this wine here.
Overall Rating: 7.8