100% Picpoul from Languedoc, Languedoc-Roussillon, France. Imported by Kysela Pere et Fils. SRP of $34 and available for as low as $24.
From the bottle:
"Crisp and fruit drive, this dry white wine goes well with fish, chicken or pasta dishes.
Today's wine comes from a little known white variety from Southern France called Picpoul (pronounced peek-pool). Named for its high acidity, it translates to "stings the lip". Typically a dry wine, this particular example also sees no oak so the true characteristics of the grape really shine through. A great wine for seafood and lighter fare it plays a similar role in Southern France as Albarino does in Spain.
The 2013 La Petite Frog Picpoul De Pinet begins with very pleasant aromas of green apple, pear, lemon, lime, a little nectarine and honeysuckle. Tasting the wine reveals it is true to its name with great acidity. The wine is light to medium-bodied but full of flavor with deep, rich, tart fruit like zesty citrus, peach and more nectarine and lemon/lime notes. It ends crisply with a dry mouthwatering finish. At only $24 for a box (the equivalent of $6 a bottle), this little frog will have you jumping for joy!
Recommended selections in our series on The Best Box Wines:
- Vinchio-Vaglio Serra Piemonte Barbera
- Big House White Blend
- Alain Jaume & Fils Grand Veneur Cotes du Rhone Reserve
- Black Box Platinum Central Coast Cabernet Sauvignon
- Esporao Alandra White
- Vina Borgia Garnacha
- The Original House Wine Riesling
- Esporao Alandra Red
- La Petite Frog Picpoul De Pinet
- Pepperwood Grove The Big Green Box Pinot Noir
- Target Wine Cube Sauvignon Blanc
- La Vieille Ferme Vin Rouge
- Duca Del Frassino Garganega/Pinot Grigio
- Wineberry Domaine de Garrigon Cotes du Rhone
- Lieb Cellars Bridge Lane White Blend
- Fuori Strada Off Road Sangiovese
- Jack Tone Vineyards White Blend
- See the full list of all 75 boxes considered here.
See a listing of local retailers selling this wine here.
Overall Rating: 8.5
Don't Miss A Recommended Buy! Subscribe to our daily email to get The Reverse Wine Snob in your inbox. You can now also PRE-ORDER my book an Amazon: Reverse Wine Snob: How to Buy and Drink Great Wine without Breaking the Bank!