The first selection in our series on boxed wine!
This post brought to you by:
100% Barbera from Piedmont, Italy.
From the importer:
“This wine is an entry level Barbera from Vinchio Vaglio Serra, a winery known for their excellent Barbera production. Their winemaker, Giuliano Noe, has brought about a Barbera revival with his excellent wines, and even the entry level Barbera from VVS was not left out. Barbera is a wine that is easy to pair with many meals. Antipasti of meats, cheese, and olives, poultry and red meat are all great compliments to the Piemonte Barbera. Fresh, red fruit and a pleasing palate make this wine an easy choice for all occasions.
Box wine from Piedmont? Yes, even the land of Barolo makes a box wine and it’s fabulous.
The 2012 Vinchio-Vaglio Serra Piemonte Barbera begins with an aroma filled with abundant amounts of black cherry. There are hints of plum, spice and even a little mint, but it’s the wonderful black cherry that will have your nose returning to the glass over and over. Tasting the wine reveals more black cherry (no surprise), plum and just a whole lot of juicy dark fruit. A little spice kicks in mid-palate and lasts all the way through the long finish. The whole thing is wrapped up in a smooth and silky texture. Truth be told, it comes off as a bit one dimensional at first sip but magic happens when you pair it with food. Pasta in red sauce, pizza, beef stew — it’s fantastic with them all. The best part is that we purchased it for just $16, which is the equivalent of a $4 bottle. A Bulk Buy in the truest sense of the term!
Recommended selections in our series on The Best Box Wines:
- Vinchio-Vaglio Serra Piemonte Barbera
- Big House White Blend
- Alain Jaume & Fils Grand Veneur Cotes du Rhone Reserve
- Black Box Platinum Central Coast Cabernet Sauvignon
- Esporao Alandra White
- Vina Borgia Garnacha
- The Original House Wine Riesling
- Esporao Alandra Red
- La Petite Frog Picpoul De Pinet
- Pepperwood Grove The Big Green Box Pinot Noir
- Target Wine Cube Sauvignon Blanc
- La Vieille Ferme Vin Rouge
- Duca Del Frassino Garganega/Pinot Grigio
- Wineberry Domaine de Garrigon Cotes du Rhone
- Lieb Cellars Bridge Lane White Blend
- Fuori Strada Off Road Sangiovese
- Jack Tone Vineyards White Blend
- See the full list of all 75 boxes considered here.
See a listing of local retailers selling this wine here.
Overall Rating: 8.5
Don’t Miss A Recommended Buy! Subscribe to our daily email to get The Reverse Wine Snob in your inbox. You can now also PRE-ORDER my book an Amazon: Reverse Wine Snob: How to Buy and Drink Great Wine without Breaking the Bank!