A blend of Gruner Veltliner, Gewurztraminer, Viognier, Malvasia Bianca, Sauvignon Blanc and other white varieties from California.
SRP of $20 and available widely for around $17.
From the box:
“Yadda, yadda, yadda, Warden! Break outta the confines of stuffy tradition with this no tool required tradition. Cagney or Robinson would never deem it a dirty box. Big House White is an unpretentious blend from a handful of nonconformist grape varieties. We start with vibrant varietals to make the skeleton, add a fruit-forward blend for a structured mid-palate and top it off with something aromatic. This floral, tropical White more than sing-sings for its supper. Best enjoyed chilled.
Today we’ve got our second selection in our Breaking Into the Box series on the best boxed wines. Yesterday we featured a Bulk Buy on a beauty of a Barbera from Piedmont. Today we turn to California for a widely available white blend.
The 2013 Big House White is a sure conversation starter. With its engaging packaging and mongrel like make-up of under the radar varietals there’s plenty of intrigue even before you crack it open. Don’t let the whimsical packaging lure you into thinking that there isn’t a serious wine inside however. The wine opens with a very pleasant, very aromatic nose of peach, pear, a little banana, tropical fruit and floral notes. If flavorful wines are your thing, this one also delivers when tasting with tart tropical fruit, zesty citrus, peach, pear and the continuation of those hints of banana from the nose. Refreshing and easy to drink but not in that California watered down Pinot Grigio way, it ends crisp and long with lingering tart citrus and tropical fruit.
Recommended selections in our series on The Best Box Wines:
- Vinchio-Vaglio Serra Piemonte Barbera
- Big House White Blend
- Alain Jaume & Fils Grand Veneur Cotes du Rhone Reserve
- Black Box Platinum Central Coast Cabernet Sauvignon
- Esporao Alandra White
- Vina Borgia Garnacha
- The Original House Wine Riesling
- Esporao Alandra Red
- La Petite Frog Picpoul De Pinet
- Pepperwood Grove The Big Green Box Pinot Noir
- Target Wine Cube Sauvignon Blanc
- La Vieille Ferme Vin Rouge
- Duca Del Frassino Garganega/Pinot Grigio
- Wineberry Domaine de Garrigon Cotes du Rhone
- Lieb Cellars Bridge Lane White Blend
- Fuori Strada Off Road Sangiovese
- Jack Tone Vineyards White Blend
- See the full list of all 75 boxes considered here.
Overall Rating: 7.8
Don’t Miss A Recommended Buy! Subscribe to our daily email to get The Reverse Wine Snob in your inbox. You can now also PRE-ORDER my book an Amazon: Reverse Wine Snob: How to Buy and Drink Great Wine without Breaking the Bank!