Sample submitted for review. Available for around $20.
From the box:
"We have combined the best selection of unique local grapes to produce this wine. Blended and bottled by Esporao. The diversity of its origin determines the freshness, balance and versatility of this wine.
The Alandra wines result from the diversity and uniqueness of Portugal's grape varieties and our winemaker's creative and contemporary approach. We made this wine for daily meals, to be shared along with creamy cheeses, tuna salad, grilled fish, or tempura.
We've talked a lot in the past about the extreme value coming out of Portugal, so it seems like a natural spot to look for box wine. Unfortunately, you won't find much available here in the U.S., but pay attention when you do.
Today's wine is a perfect example. Coming from 17-year-old vines grown in granite/schist rock with clay/loam soil, it's a blend of three grapes you won't see much of outside of Spain and Portugal. It's also a dry wine which means that the other qualities inherent in the grape really need to shine through since they won't be covered up by a whole bunch of sweet sugar.
The 2013 Esporao Alandra Branco (White) begins with a fruity aroma filled with pear, apple, orange, a little apricot, nice floral notes and a bit of spice. This light-bodied wine tastes simple, fresh and quite good with lots of apple, some zesty citrus and a bit of mango and pineapple. That little streak of spice from the nose carries over as well and there are even touches of sea salt that lead into the dry, medium long finish. This is a fresh, light and highly quaffable wine that you'll be quite glad comes in a box.
Recommended selections in our series on The Best Box Wines:
- Vinchio-Vaglio Serra Piemonte Barbera
- Big House White Blend
- Alain Jaume & Fils Grand Veneur Cotes du Rhone Reserve
- Black Box Platinum Central Coast Cabernet Sauvignon
- Esporao Alandra White
- Vina Borgia Garnacha
- The Original House Wine Riesling
- Esporao Alandra Red
- La Petite Frog Picpoul De Pinet
- Pepperwood Grove The Big Green Box Pinot Noir
- Target Wine Cube Sauvignon Blanc
- La Vieille Ferme Vin Rouge
- Duca Del Frassino Garganega/Pinot Grigio
- Wineberry Domaine de Garrigon Cotes du Rhone
- Lieb Cellars Bridge Lane White Blend
- Fuori Strada Off Road Sangiovese
- Jack Tone Vineyards White Blend
- See the full list of all 75 boxes considered here.
See a listing of local retailers selling this wine here.