From the winemaker:
"Entry point wine with a fresh and fruity profile, obtained from blending a wide range of wines to guarantee a consistent quality.
Harvest Year: Excellent year for red wines in this region. The low winter rainfall contributed to a smaller than average grape harvest with deeply concentrated high quality wines.
Soil Type: Granite/schist rock with clay/loam soil.
Average age of vines: 10 years.
Today's box comes from one of our favorite Portuguese producers, Esporao. It's also the stablemate to the excellent Esporao Alandra White we featured earlier in this series. Just like that wine, this box is made up of a blend of varieties you've likely never heard of before, but don't let that give you pause, this is one tasty wine.
The 2013 Esporao Alandra Tinto (Red) opens with a pleasant and fruity aroma of black cherry, blueberry, raspberry and just a hint of anise. In the mouth you'll find lots of smooth and juicy fruit with touches of spice and leather. This medium to full-bodied wine has good acidity and a surprisingly long and grippy finish. Quite good, this wine makes for a great daily drinker.
Recommended selections in our series on The Best Box Wines:
- Vinchio-Vaglio Serra Piemonte Barbera
- Big House White Blend
- Alain Jaume & Fils Grand Veneur Cotes du Rhone Reserve
- Black Box Platinum Central Coast Cabernet Sauvignon
- Esporao Alandra White
- Vina Borgia Garnacha
- The Original House Wine Riesling
- Esporao Alandra Red
- La Petite Frog Picpoul De Pinet
- Pepperwood Grove The Big Green Box Pinot Noir
- Target Wine Cube Sauvignon Blanc
- La Vieille Ferme Vin Rouge
- Duca Del Frassino Garganega/Pinot Grigio
- Wineberry Domaine de Garrigon Cotes du Rhone
- Lieb Cellars Bridge Lane White Blend
- Fuori Strada Off Road Sangiovese
- Jack Tone Vineyards White Blend
- See the full list of all 75 boxes considered here.
See a listing of local retailers selling this wine here.
Overall Rating: 7.8
Don't Miss A Recommended Buy! Subscribe to our daily email to get The Reverse Wine Snob in your inbox. You can now also PRE-ORDER my book an Amazon: Reverse Wine Snob: How to Buy and Drink Great Wine without Breaking the Bank!