100% Garnacha from Campo de Borja, Aragon, Spain.
Available for around $20. Bottles sell for around $6-$7, so this 3L box (4 bottle equivalent) at only $20 is a great deal on an already inexpensive wine. Sample submitted for review.
From the box:
“From the heart of Aragon, birthplace of Garnacha, comes Vina Borgia. The wine is a perfect example of the varietal characteristics: dark cherries and blueberries mingle on the palate and are accented by light peppery notes. Fresh bright flavors are balanced by a fine structure and long finish. The wine is meticulously crafted for your immediate enjoyment.
Bodegas Borsao, the maker of today’s wine, is one of our very favorite producers of one of our very favorite value varieties — Spanish Garnacha. In fact, I don’t believe we’ve reviewed a Bodegas Borsao wine that we didn’t rate a Bulk Buy (see here and here for example). Why should that change when the wine is packaged in a box instead of a bottle?
The 2013 Vina Borgia Garnacha begins with a very pleasant aroma of blackberry, blueberry, raspberry, black cherry, licorice and a bit of spice. The wine tastes delicious with tons of juicy dark berry fruit and streaks of peppery spice. The licorice notes from the nose also continue in this smooth, almost creamy wine with good acidity. A bit of an earthy streak leads into the dry finish which features lingering tart plum and other dark berry fruit. Wonderful.
Recommended selections in our series on The Best Box Wines:
- Vinchio-Vaglio Serra Piemonte Barbera
- Big House White Blend
- Alain Jaume & Fils Grand Veneur Cotes du Rhone Reserve
- Black Box Platinum Central Coast Cabernet Sauvignon
- Esporao Alandra White
- Vina Borgia Garnacha
- The Original House Wine Riesling
- Esporao Alandra Red
- La Petite Frog Picpoul De Pinet
- Pepperwood Grove The Big Green Box Pinot Noir
- Target Wine Cube Sauvignon Blanc
- La Vieille Ferme Vin Rouge
- Duca Del Frassino Garganega/Pinot Grigio
- Wineberry Domaine de Garrigon Cotes du Rhone
- Lieb Cellars Bridge Lane White Blend
- Fuori Strada Off Road Sangiovese
- Jack Tone Vineyards White Blend
- See the full list of all 75 boxes considered here.
Overall Rating: 8.5
Don’t Miss A Recommended Buy! Subscribe to our daily email to get The Reverse Wine Snob in your inbox. You can now also PRE-ORDER my book an Amazon: Reverse Wine Snob: How to Buy and Drink Great Wine without Breaking the Bank!