SRP of $43 and available for as low as $35. Imported by Kysela Pere Et Fils. Sample submitted for review.
From the box:
Since 1826, from father to son, we have been following a philosophy with simple principles: "A great wine is made with perfect quality grapes yielding an expression of the earth."
The "Reserve Grand Veneur" red is elaborated according to respect of the Tradition, using the typical Rhone Valley grape varieties: 60% Grenache, 40% Syrah.
Elegant and well balanced, this wine will seduce you with its red fresh fruit aromas (cherry, strawberry, raspberry) and its spicy hint of black pepper and liquorice. Ideally served at 60F, this wine will make a perfect combination if served with Mediterranean cuisine, grilled red meats or cheese.
Enjoy the tasting!
Today's box, like the first two reviewed in this series, is a wine that you can also buy in a traditional 750ml bottle. Two things stand out about this:
- Savings. Bottles of this wine sells for around $15 apiece. Since the 3L box holds the equivalent of 4 bottles, you're effectively paying around $35 for what would otherwise cost closer to $60. Now that's great value.
- Quality. We are pretty quickly finding that if a box wine is also sold in a bottle, it's generally a sign of good quality. (It's not a fail safe indicator but there does seem to be a trend.)
The 2012 Alain Jaume & Fils Grand Veneur Cotes du Rhone Reserve presents with a lovely nose that gets even better with air. Aromas of smoked meat and leather when first poured give way to black cherry and wild berry fruit flavors in short order. Nice touches of spice and lavender are present as well. Tasting this smooth and silky blend reveals classic Cotes du Rhone and offers a combination of taste and complexity that I would be more than happy to drink every day. It ends dry and grippy with more dark fruit and even a bit of graphite minerality. Highly recommended!
Recommended selections in our series on The Best Box Wines:
- Vinchio-Vaglio Serra Piemonte Barbera
- Big House White Blend
- Alain Jaume & Fils Grand Veneur Cotes du Rhone Reserve
- Black Box Platinum Central Coast Cabernet Sauvignon
- Esporao Alandra White
- Vina Borgia Garnacha
- The Original House Wine Riesling
- Esporao Alandra Red
- La Petite Frog Picpoul De Pinet
- Pepperwood Grove The Big Green Box Pinot Noir
- Target Wine Cube Sauvignon Blanc
- La Vieille Ferme Vin Rouge
- Duca Del Frassino Garganega/Pinot Grigio
- Wineberry Domaine de Garrigon Cotes du Rhone
- Lieb Cellars Bridge Lane White Blend
- Fuori Strada Off Road Sangiovese
- Jack Tone Vineyards White Blend
- See the full list of all 75 boxes considered here.
See a listing of local retailers selling this wine here.
Overall Rating: 8.0
Don't Miss A Recommended Buy! Subscribe to our daily email to get The Reverse Wine Snob in your inbox. You can now also PRE-ORDER my book an Amazon: Reverse Wine Snob: How to Buy and Drink Great Wine without Breaking the Bank!